Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

SIDE DISHES: Garlic and Spice Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprouts aren't exactly my favorite vegetable; in fact, I've found ways to dodge these mini-cabbages for decades.  Recently, I felt the need to give these cancer-fighters a shot, and I think it's fair to say that when prepared in the following fashion, they may be on my vegetable rotation list (credit goes to 101cookbooks.com for my inspiration):

Serving Size: 3-4 (as an appetizer)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound brussel sprouts
  • 1/2 tsp salt (freshly ground or sea salt is best - Trader Joes has great disposable spice grinders)
  • 1 tsp black pepper (always opt for freshly ground)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
  • Any favorite seasoning for added taste
Instructions:
  • Cut stems of brussel sprouts and remove tough outer layer (I just peel off the outer dark leaves by hand)
    • Cut brussel sprouts in half
  • Heat oil and garlic in a large pan 
  • Add in spices 
  • Add in brussel sprouts and coat them in the mixture of oil and spices
  • Add additional spices to taste
  • Reduce heat to low and cover pan - allow sprouts to cook for at least 7-10 minutes (be sure to move them now and again)
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment